View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 10, 2019 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
I lived in the UK for a few years before moving to the US. Originally, I am from a country within Eastern Europe where English is not the first language. My mother tongue is very different from English (the structure of grammar and everything is very different), but I actually like English better now. I was born, raised, lived my life and did my education up to college in my first language, which is quite difference from English in many ways. Did my PhD in a European country where English was the work language, but not recreational. Then moved to the UK, and eventually US. Speaking foreign languages was not the norm in my family of origin back in Eastern Europe - actually I am the first, and I also have a cousin who immigrated to the US. Both of us learned everything on our own, via our experiences - foreigns languages were never spoken or exercised in my family of origin. But my parents did pay and encourage classes for me to learn some basics during elementary, middle and high school.

I definitely learned the basics of the English language in the classes in my home country, especially during high school. But learned to use it really in different countries in Europe, and eventually here in the US. All as an adult. But whatever extra sophistication I've picked up and practice now is the result of my individual exploration, I think. I think it it reflects my standards, who I am and how I like to do things. Some say we cannot learn / change effectively as adults - not my experience
@Xynesthesia2

You cease to amaze me! Your writing is way better than mine, and your English is way better than mine! I honestly would never have noticed or even detected that you were not from here had you not said anything. You ROCK!

So you know three languages - two being English for different countries (UK and US)? That's awesome! I had a hard enough time with Spanish, but English (my native tongue) remains challenging for me. I really don't know why. It's not that I cannot write with the vocabulary I have at my disposal, it's really that I haven't read that much during my childhood. I think there's something different about learning as an adult versus learning as a child, which is why traditional (young) students are often prized over non-traditional (older) students. My straight-A's mean not much compared to someone who earned straight-A's in high school. My grades in high school were average and fluctuating, from A's to D's - sometimes in the same subject. The funny part about my background is that I would start out with a bad grade and end with a good grade in some high school courses, and then the reverse would happen in other courses. I earned better grades in college than I did in high school. Here, in the U.S., your high school grades matter a lot for college and beyond. I suppose at the graduate level, however, there are some few who can excel despite their academically impoverished childhoods. It's sad to see the disparities connected with socioeconomic status and, in some cases, race/ethnicity in the US. I'm not sure if the same disparities exist in other countries. --That would be an interesting factor.

Anyway, you write really well! And you seem to adjust really well to different countries and settings, based on what you've shared. That's a lot of gifts and talents to have! And, your strengths against other dominant manipulators are amazing. I do like what you shared in your other post. I made a bunch of comments, but please tell me if I've said something incorrect or offensive. I try to consider so many things that, in my writings, I may come off as a bit arrogant, opinionated, or biased - which I will have to work on. I fluctuate between wanting to voice my opinion and try things new to feeling afraid and sometimes ashamed. I know where those feelings come from, but I try to hold on as best I can and continue learning. Communication is hard all around - even written communication.

YOU WRITE REALLY WELL! You know English really well!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Xynesthesia2

Thanks for this!
Xynesthesia2