Grand Poohbah

Member Since Sep 2013
2,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 13, 2019 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleflynn View Post
It isn't selfish to take care of yourself....it is necessary.
I agree with you Nicoleflynn,

I recently chatted with women's shelters in Canada who said that they will never be out of work... Of course, they were not bragging...

Part of the problem is that abusers are so good at keeping victims attached and dependent - manipulating them into complete submission through trauma bonding, gas-lighting them into believing that they are the source of all problems, guaranteeing room and board in exchange for a vow of silence which also aids in the creation of a perfect environment for abuse... And years of additional trauma that will only be realized and overcome if ever victims should find safety outside of the relationship. It is so sad. Once domestic survivors find safety, they can then be given the tools needed to gain self-awareness, self-confidence, self-esteem and self-worth, as well as the ability to stand up for themselves and not be met with further abuse; all necessary ingredients in leaving abusive relationships and realizing their own potential to survive and thrive without their abusers. Realizing that they deserve better is such a shocking revelation - as most abuse survivors can relate to.

Of course, this abuse dynamic is not only applicable to women; abuse is indiscriminate. But we can all relate to these abuse dynamics because while they may be different in practicality, they are extremely similar in nature.

I am doing a bit of research into domestic violence in Canada lately - a topic I am passionate about in my journalistic endeavors...

I have yet to fact check this, but according to a woman's shelter in one Province in Canada, women experiencing domestic violence will stay in an abusive relationship long enough to seek safety from women's shelters [an average of 10 times] before leaving the relationship...

Think about that.

I was also informed that in this same Province, [women who have sought safety in shelters 4 times], will immediately have their children taken away by child social services as they will be forced to intervene...

Think about that.

I have also been informed that child social service programs, adoption homes and other affiliated programs are riddled with additional abuse... This, of course, is old news.

It is one big cycle of abuse - because those in power prey upon the most vulnerable and their systems are utterly broken. Makes me sick to know the extent of abuse out there and yet to see so much resistance to changing it... I wonder why? Perhaps it's an indication of how normalized abuse has become in society...?

Thanks,
HD7970ghz

"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"

Last edited by HD7970GHZ; Oct 13, 2019 at 04:14 PM..
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous42119