Anonymous42019
Magnate

Member Since Sep 2019
3,106 hugs
given
Default Oct 21, 2019 at 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
Becoming a physician is also a massive sacrifice. Go in with your eyes wide open. Your friends will be traveling and getting married and having kids and going to parties and you will be in the hospital at 3 in the morning. You cannot get those years back. If I had to do it over again, I would go to business school.
That is so true what you said, @bpcyclist I'd be up for a 12 hour shift, but one rarely ever left work until two hours later. Or even more if there was an emergency, I'd get to stay.

This morning I was only telling a friend in a pm that because of often long working hours, one never gets to make friends because of tiredness and overwork. Only unless I'm on vacation can I drink alcohol because I'm a driver and next day, will be using my vehicle. I've missed weddings, parties and even Christmas.

It shouldn't be that I often work minimum 60 hours a week, but realistically it can be 70 with barely Sunday off, worse if my colleagues are off sick. Often I get called out to an accident, mostly in the middle of the night, almost always the weather is pissing down, or a raging gale or both.

Sometimes I ask myself why I do this job, being a GP. The answer is always this: It's my calling to be a doctor.
Anonymous42019 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous42119, bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist