randomer123
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2018
4 hugs
given
Default Nov 01, 2019 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendingmysoul View Post
Daydreaming and fantasy and imagination sometimes act as coping skills.At least for me they kept me sane and I survived horrific abuse.I Do not know which ones are useful and which ones are stupid.But it worked.I used to lay on the bed and imagine and daydream the opposite of what was happening in the reality. After sometime I felt ok and knew it was time to stop and come back to reality.I never consider it as a waste of time because it was much needed for me.
I don't feel like it's a waste of time either, unless they are really pointless conversations about rubbish and there's something I need to be doing and concentrating on. People seem to think daydreaming is lazy, but it doesn't have to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
I tend to have a lot of this sort of thing going on in my head as well. One thing that has helped me is, as soon as I realize I'm in the midst of a conversation or story in my head, I smile & chuckle to myself & perhaps shake my head (gently) from side-to-side in kind-of a show of irony, I guess you might say. Sometimes I'll also say to myself something such as: "What is the point of that?" Then I'll simply let it go. Making light of the situation, in a humorous sort of way, is much more helpful, to me at least, than getting mad at myself & trying to make my poor brain do what I want it to do.
Years ago I tried saying "stop" when I was having a "waste of time" daydream, but I was worried I might start saying that when I was out or with other people, and that would be embarrassing. I've been trying to let them go more gently now. Pushing them away has never worked.

- - -

I haven't got complete control over the daydreaming yet, but I have stopped a lot of the useless ones. I've noticing around half of the time and asking myself "Is this useful or not?" and it usually isn't so I stop. It's a start at least.
randomer123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Mendingmysoul, Skeezyks