Anonymous43089

Default Nov 08, 2019 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
But maybe they just think they don’t.
Shots fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMop View Post
I think sincerity is what most people need for a healthy relationship.
I think sincerity is a nice sentiment, but if I were to be totally sincere with a romantic partner, it would almost inevitably be emotionally damaging and extremely one-sided.

Suppose the expression of love we were talking about was physical intimacy, anywhere from cuddling to sex, and one partner in the relationship was asexual. The asexual partner can choose to not have sex because that's simply who they are, and they can try to express their affection in other ways. But usually this leaves the other partner feeling unloved because physical intimacy is something most people need.

Likewise, most people need a sense of connection and emotional validation, and that's something I can't give sincerely in the same way that an asexual person can't bond over or enjoy sex with their partner sincerely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
Sometimes people are in denial about being manipulated because they are so starving for love and validation that they are willing to close their eyes to reality.
Yeah, I think this is a major factor for a lot of people, and sort of what I was getting at when I said people need a certain degree of love and validation to be emotionally healthy. Without it, they get all insecure, clingy, depressed, or anxious.

The most common manipulation tactics are emotional - guilt tripping, negging, flattery, love bombing, threats, outbursts, etc. You can't be guilt tripped if you don't feel guilt, nor can you be love bombed if you don't feel love. Naturally, it's very easy for me to see through these tactics because I'm unaffected by them. I still wonder if people realize they're being guilt tripped, but the guilt is too strong for them to ignore it, or if their guilt prevents them from seeing the other person's intentions.

There are manipulation tactics that have gotten me in the past, but I'm not going to tell you which ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
Is upping your game considered manipulation? Maybe. You’re learning to give more of yourself to make someone else feel good. Is that bit of manipulation a bad thing? Not if it keeps you in a relationship you want. Then it’s a win-win. If it feels good for them, then if it feels good for you, it’s good.
I'm taking that as a green light.

Quote:
Manipulation red flags are so hard to teach. I wouldn’t know how to explain it to someone. You just learn by what you see and experience.
I'll agree to that. As soon as I typed, "but it's so obvious!" I realized that I had no idea how to actually explain it. Not to mention that there are a ton of different manipulation tactics, and each needs to be observed and handled differently.

It's kinda like chess, though. When you first start to play the game, your opponent's tactics might seem simple, random or meaningless. But after learning some basic strategy, it's now obvious to you that your opponent's seemingly innocuous movement of a pawn actually served to unblock, and thereby strengthen, his bishop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ndm4n2006 View Post
I'd be wary of anyone that upfront says that they expect support for anything. because that to me says it's someone that thinks in terms of conditions also and what can I give to them. Idk about the rest of you but for me going into a relationship early on I don't think about such things. I never go into a relationship at all wondering what she can give me in terms of emotional support at all.
Few people go into the relationship thinking about how much support they'll get because it's one of those things that's generally expected without needing to negotiate it. Kinda like air. You don't pay much attention to it until it's gone, and by then you're already suffocating and so desperate for something to fill your lungs that you'll take anything, even if it's toxic.

People who are overly concerned about such things usually have had insecure relationships in the past. They know what it's like to suffocate. Consequently, they're always thinking about whether they'll have enough air to breath.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lilly2