View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Nov 21, 2019 at 12:17 PM

Hey bpcyclist I think it would be awesome for you to first volunteer at a dog shelter so that you will be around dogs. You can read to them, take them for walks, and absorb their unconditional love. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about the costs incurred as a dog owner and the time commitment required at home. Dogs are not stationary animals like cats are. Cats don't care how long they're left alone but dogs care. Dogs can develop anxiety and will destroy furniture and your apartment or act aggressive when they are just lonely and anxious.

If you're willing to create a schedule around having a dog (daily walks, feedings, play time, dog park visits) then go for it. Can you apply for a service dog for your MI? That may be even better. A service dog that senses when you're about to have an episode and can help keep you calm.

But having pets is good for the soul. That's for sure. I'm very pro-pet. Decide what kind of commitment you can offer a dog. A dog is for life.It's not something to be returned when it doesn't work out. I know people do that all the time, but if you know you can't consistently be there for a dog because of hospital stays, then don't do it. Just volunteer at a shelter. Small steps. See how that goes.

Edit to add: You could also adopt elderly dogs or register to foster dogs. If you foster dogs, the shelter will reimburse you for dog food and medication.

So, your options are:

1. Foster a dog.
2. Adopt a small dog.
3. Adopt an elderly dog.
4. Apply for a service dog.
5. Volunteer at a dog shelter and don't adopt a dog.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, lightly toasted

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, lightly toasted, ZenStream