View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Dec 02, 2019 at 07:40 PM

Exactly, WovenGalaxy.

Discombobulated: It's normal to feel alone after a good friendship ends. Totally normal response. But to forecast that you will now be unworthy of making friends in the future, and be alone forever, is just untrue. That's what David Burns would refer to as 'distorted thinking.' Your thinking is a reflection right now, of how bad you feel about yourself. You feel rejected, so you attach that rejection to your self-value, your self-worth, as though you are incapable of being accepted for who you are, because this friend has rejected you. It's an easy trap to fall into -- distorted thinking -- when you have low self-esteem. I still struggle with low self-esteem about myself.

If you don't want friends, that's up to you. If you do want friends, then you will find a way to meet new people and make friends again. Right now, you need to stop forecasting about your self-worth with people you haven't even met yet. Just be present in the 'now' and allow yourself to feel all the emotions you will feel, as you process through the rejection of this friendship. Don't judge yourself while you experience the ups and downs of rejection. Just observe. Just notice all the emotions you feel. Don't comment to yourself or try to explain or deny these feelings. Just feel what you feel. You have to go through the emotional pain of rejection to get to the other side of self-acceptance.

Do not attach your self-worth or self-esteem to the way other people treat you. That is probably the biggest lesson I've learned from being rejected by my siblings, by friends, by coworkers. Yes, our behavior does impact others. But our value...our self-worth, exists inside of us and what other people project outwardly (that we take in as criticism, judgement, libel, bullying, etc.) is about that person having low-self-worth about themselves, and being so uncomfortable with their own low-self worth, that they project it on to others around them to avoid the pain.

Let this friendship go. It didn't work. Not all friendships do. Some friendships last for a lifetime. Some last for a short period of time. It really depends on how you meet each other, and the amount of effort each person contributes to maintaining and developing the friendship. Friendship isn't easy. And there are no guarantees in life. This, I know.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated