Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,262 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 02, 2019 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumberKitty View Post
I'm currently an hourly employee. My workplace is talking about making me salary after the first of the year. What is the upsides and downsides to salary work? I'm kind of sad that I wouldn't be able to make overtime. But, I think based on what I make I would get a raise with salary. But my work is cracking down on overtime anyway. What else is there to consider? Thanks, Kit
Be careful they aren't making you salary in an effort to make you work loads of overtime with no pay. This is a big red flag that they are doing that. There was a law passed, but then overturned, that stipulated employees must meet certain requirements to be salaried so that they weren't abused in this way. One of those requirements was the annual salary. If you're going to be salary I think the federal cut off (under the law at the time) was $35,000 annually, and I also think you had to at least be a manager-level employee or meet other requirements like a specialized skill set - like an engineer, for example.

So while a pay raise is great, make sure it's comparable to whatever increase in duties they are proposing, and that they aren't doing this in an effort to abuse your schedule.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, Serpentine Leaf, SlumberKitty