Member Since Apr 2014
1,262 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 03, 2019 at 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilloche View Post
Hi Slumberkitty!

Would you get any additional benefits as a salaried employee? Most of the jobs I've had (since college) have been salaried, so I'm not sure, but perhaps the benefits are better?

I think how being salaried versus hourly affects you might come down to the culture of the place you're working and your boss. Will you be in the same job? Are there a mix of salary/hourly employees now that you could look at, to see if it affects the time they put in?

Where I'm at, we're all salaried at this point (I believe a few people were contractors, so paid hourly, at one point, but they've all been brought on now.)

We have an incredibly amount of flexibility - so we might work extra hours during an important crunch to make a deadline, but we also have downtime without as much to do (to do training, for example), and flexibility to run out during the day for things like doctor's appointments. Nobody is keeping track of how many hours we're working each day, or making sure we "make up" the time that we're out, we just focus on getting the work done.

We sometimes have events that hourly contractors (who are employed through a contracting company) aren't allowed to attend - I don't fully understand how/why that works, it comes from our leadership (not my immediate manager). But, since you're already hourly, you're probably aware if there are things like that going on around you - these weren't secret or hidden or anything.

And... I seem to remember (from a long time ago) someone telling me that they actually made *less* as a salaried employee, versus hourly contractor. Because they had benefits (paid vacation, sick time, subsidized insurance, etc) as an employee, the actual take-home pay was less. Some of the people on that team chose to remain hourly because they prioritized the pay. But again, I'm not sure if that's the same at the place where you're at...

I hope this helps! I think it's a little hard to know, since it may be very dependent on the individual company... but hopefully if they decided to do this, you'd get more information about pay/benefits and be allowed to choose whether or not to accept the offer.

Good luck!
You can be an hourly full time employee and get the same full benefits that the salaried positions get. Being a contractor is entirely different than being an employee, and hourly vs salary does not make one a contractor and the other an employee.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
Serpentine Leaf