View Single Post
Anonymous48672
Anonymous48672 has no updates. Edit

Default Dec 04, 2019 at 07:20 PM

Open Eyes the subleaser is an undergraduate student who just graduated and accepted a new job in another state. His lease goes until mid-fall 2020, and he leaves the end of January for his new job. So, he's just a kid. The leasing company's main rental office is conveniently located in the apt. bldg next door to his apt. bldg, so after I go quick tour his apt. I will walk across the street with my rental application and then I have to wait for their screening company to complete their background check (which yes, includes a credit check unfortunately, and prior rental history).

So, I will find out if my application gets accepted hopefully by next Friday. From the photos on his sublease posting, his one bedroom (fully furnished) is quite nice furniture and the unit comes with a dishwasher and also a stacked laundry washer/dryer which is also a bonus.

I feel like this would be the perfect transition out of the current transition I'm living in -- a furnished subleased one bedroom opportunity. It would give me 6 months of peace of mind on his sublease, and at the end of six months, I'd have hopefully found a full-time job, and could renew the lease or look for a new place. But it all hinges on that darn background check company hired by the leasing company who rents out his apartments.

I don't take your observations critically of me, either. It's been a horrible year and a half; caregiving for my elderly mother, now in this forced caregiving situation for a complete stranger who is my roommate until I can find a way to move out sooner than later.

It is extremely triggering and damaging to my mental health. I go to the walk-in counseling center on bad days, and other days just post here or work on my resume or my grad school coursework or watch movies.

She is not my responsibility -- this I know -- so I am not going to even offer to cook her meals at this point. I did tell her I got back from work, and her response was, from behind her door, "Ok. Thank you."

I texted her sister to ask if my roommate responded to her sister's text but haven't heard anything yet. I'm not going to engage my roommate in any conversation unless it has to do with paying her rent, or the mice infestation, or her cat's health/food/litter. I have to take care of myself.

I read online that 45 minutes after doing a creative activity (draw, paint, write, music, etc) one's cortisol levels drop dramatically. So, time to start doing more creative things to keep myself at peace while I try to get out of this horrible, horrible situation.

Yes, my roommate has cleverly created a loophole for herself to avoid going to an inpatient facility, by not acting homicidal or suicidal. Does that mean I still feel safe? Nope. It's like living with my mother after her stroke when she developed dementia.

I didn't feel safe there either because I was taking care of my mother 24/7; she would "sundown" and wander out of her apt. between midnight - 6 a.m. or I'd wake up after hearing her fall off her bed, or she'd fall off her toilet at 3 a.m. and I'd have to call the fire dept. to request a "lift assist" which the firemen who showed up, told me was a common occurrence at my mother's 55+ bldg, where other elderly people live, who'd fall or sundown.

Your description of my roommate similar to Joan Crawford aka "Mommy Dearest" is actually close. Her friend of 40 years told me, that neither my roommate nor her husband had their son tested for autism when he was 3 and started showing autistic behaviors (stimming, scripting which he did when he was here this summer briefly). Her friend is appalled by my roommate's parental neglect, but told me that my roommate's always put herself first, above even her ex-husband.

She's a narcissist who also is supposedly kind-hearted, won't hurt a fly, fights for women's rights. Um, I find everything describing my roommate after "narcissist" hard to believe. Because, if you had a toddler who was rocking, stimming, and scripting, YOU WOULD TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTOR.

But according to my roommate's friend of 40 years, they just ignored her son's behavior (which they still do now). Maybe my roommate's extreme dysthymia (ongoing depression for more than two years....) will never go away, and will morph into hoarding (her basement is a mess already).

She sure has the house for Hollywood parties. She knows lots of famous people and ran/runs in all "the" circles. A few of them stopped by her house this summer whom I met. (I didn't ask for autographs, either.)

Her behavior over the past five-six years is no secret to these "people" I've been told. She has a group of enablers/caretakers who open her mail, bring her food, and take her to appointments (if they are lucky enough to get to get her to leave her house).

I feel sorry for those people. Why do they enable her? She's clearly not doing anything to improve her situation. She and her ex-husband worked in LA for 25 years in "the scene" and she has the emmys on her baby grand piano to show it.

Why do I feel like the narrator from The Great Gatsby living here? But in my novel, Gatsby is an agoraphobic woman with dysthymia who borders on homicidal/suicidal behavior yet so she avoids becoming an inpatient (which would obviously help her; she rejected outpatient treatment accord. to her sister who would have my roommate driven to outpatient appointments, only to call a cab and leave the outpatient hospital/center).

Hugs from:
Open Eyes

Thanks for this!
Open Eyes