View Single Post
Alishia88

Member Since Jun 2012
4 hugs
given
Default Dec 31, 2019 at 07:55 AM

I have had OCD to a small extent ever since I was a child, but it only got bothersome about 4 years ago.

I think it was brought on by some sleep problems that I was experiencing and I was OCD behaviors to tire me out before bed to help me deal with that (for some time, effectively).

Over time the behaviors though got worse and worse, more and more exhausting and bothersome and at some time they stopped working so not only was I overtired but, I think, BECAUSE of them and being overtired, not able to sleep.

At this point I decided to just stop ALL behaviors at once. I set a time and date and actually, it worked. It was strange going to bed without them, but, I was able to fall asleep without them, much earlier (because the OCD took up SO much time before) and I ended up getting better and more sleep this way.

Unfortunately it only lasted 2 or 3 days, then I started again and other tries to again stop all at once, did not work. I think because the "now or never" pressure was not there anymore, since I knew now that theoretically, I could stop if I wanted to so I could also "stop a little later".

Anyway, what I want to say is,
I am thinking that if it was possible to do it once, it must be possible to do it again.

New yearīs is as good as time as any to try and start.

I have had people tell me before it is not possible, but I HAVE examples of other people (and myself, even just for a few days) that it is possible.

If you think you have even the slightest chance of doing it, I encourage you to try with me

O, and on a very important note!!!:

I have much proof from experience that whatever catastrophic events OCD is telling you will happen if you donīt do a behavior (e.g. my plane crashing if I do not climb over the person sitting next to me to go to the toilet ), is a LIE. And whatever you think terrible will happen, will not. At least not because you failed to give into a behavior. (I am telling this to myself now also, to remember )

If you think about deciding to try, write to me here .

Good luck and happy new year everyone
Alishia88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote