View Single Post
Bookworm257

Member Since Jun 2017
16 hugs
given
Unhappy Jan 08, 2020 at 01:25 PM

Something that does not get talked about, like at all, is the emotional and social burden of dealing with ADHD. Like, we have problems with concentrating and starting/finishing tasks and we can be impulsive- everyone knows that. But these problems can actually lead to really low self esteem. When I forget something five minutes after someone told me it (and after they told me that it was really important), or when I try to do my homework but end up staring at the page for almost an hour, unable to actually read it or write anything down because my brain just says "no" for no reason, or when I make mistakes over and over (even at my job, which leaves me paranoid I'll get fired for being careless/stupid and not learning from my mistakes), it really builds up.

I was on medication for about 5 years, and I got a little support in elemenatary school, but after that it was left untreated pretty much, and it's caused a lot of problems in my life. People make it clear they think I'm irresponsible, lazy, or stupid (sometimes, they straight up tell me this). I feel guilty about it so much but don't know how to stop making these mistakes. My brain is wired to A) make more mistakes than other people, and B), on top of that, take much longer to learn from past mistakes. I often find myself going into my bedroom or the bathroom and crying after making small mistakes that don't really matter. Like, last week I was sick so I told my dad to get his plate for dinner first so I don't spread germs, then like not even 20 seconds later I touch the handle on the serving spoon because in that small space if time I forgot about it. For normal people, this might happen every once in a while, but for me it happens on the regular. I pretended I needed to pee and cried in the bathroom for a few minutes because I thought about all the mistakes like that that I make, all the time. It makes me feel stupid, worthless, and even childish. I feel like I just end up annoying everyone and they all come to hate me eventually.

Does anyone else feel this way? I know some of you do.

I read an article about how people with ADHD have higher rates of depression and suicide than the average population. Did you know that 70% of people with ADHD are also diagniosed with depression at some point in their lives?! THe article pointed to reason like the way the ADHD brain is wired, how side effects of medications can mimick depression, and they even looked into the family functioning of people with ADHD (there is no reson why people with ADHD would randomly have mre dysfunctional families, this doesn't make sense). These reasons might be a little true, but one huge reason I think is overlooked is that people with ADHD have lower self esteem. Their bran works differently than others' brains, and this makes them feel stupid or worthless as they may not be completely caught up with others their age.

I have felt suicidal in the past. (In the past!!!) It really does take a toll on me.

Do any of you feel the same way? Please share your thoughts.
Bookworm257 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Desoxyn

Thanks for this!
Desoxyn