8 yr Member
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Jan 13, 2020 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingby View Post
As an update,
after writing this, I went outside to walk the dog and I felt so annoyed with this blockage, so so annoyed - what is wrong with me?! I refuse to spend another day (off) at home doing nothing! -I looked at my dog... saw those pretty eyes so resigned to walk the same walk again and I just said enough! Let's go, dog, let's go to the beach. I went inside to get my things. Did it fast before I regretted and the momentum was gone. And to my overthinking I said "screw you!". I have money, I have gas, I have time, if I get there and it's dark, then I come home, but I'm going, if it's crowded and I can't go with the dog, I go for a walk around, whatever. I'll just go.
I did. My dog loved it, it was great. I felt so proud! And I proved myself that it isn't hard. It doesn't take that much energy. And it warmed me up to go back.
I guess I was falling in the habit of not going. And forgot how relaxing actually is.
Was it a temporary burst of energy? Hope not.
My father was fond of saying: "You're not required to like it. You're just required to do it." (I think he learned it in the army during WWII.) I've been on a variety of different psych med's here-&-there over the years. And I've tried seeing a few therapists. But the reality is neither psych med's nor therapy can "fix" what's gone on with me. So I've taken my father's old saying as my mantra. And every day I just get up & do what needs to be done. I think, sometimes, that's just what a person has to do. So kudos to you for getting out there & doing what needed to be done. And may there be many happy repeats for both you & your dog!

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
TheMoodyDutchman, walkingby, WastingAsparagus