View Single Post
Misterpain

Member Since May 2016
Default Jan 13, 2020 at 03:16 PM

Last number i heard was 11.7 psychiatric beds per 100,000 regular hospital beds ,these days you have to look like a serious threat in order to get a bed ,and in most cases staying a week is the outside limit of reimbursement ,the goal is maximum medication as soon as the clock starts running on the 72 hours in hopes to somewhat stabilize you for discharge when the clock strikes 72.

Community care model was an improvement in care outxomes and cheaper in cost than the asylum system. And it truly was ,until government and insurance decided mental health was not a "neccesary priority" and every year they divert and devote money to pet projects or shareholders instead of where it should be going . About 19 years ago one of my local hospitals had an entire building that was mental gealth,different security levels ,and different disorders unto themselves , they were losing huge amounts of money in insurance reimbursement because insurance didn't like to pay older established programs and programs that didn't make "patient soup " everyone treated as one ,regardless of chief complaint or what they had been hospitalized for .

Prison like conditions will continue and substandard revolving door care will continue unless and until mental health gets fully funded again .

I truly believe the bean counters believe if you make getting well pleasant ,people will use it as vacation spot , but the key to that is treating employees better most people don't have living wages and benefits ,so there is lots of "social problems" that need correcting and they all involve equality. Treat everyone better across the board and ultimately there would be less mental health issues ,because people would have more safety valves instead of the system of last resort.
Misterpain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2