View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Jan 14, 2020 at 01:52 PM

Lundi I strongly encourage you to figure out a compatible roommate situation for yourself when you move to Italy for your medical school studies. It will ease your culture shock transition a LOT because of the sense of security you'll feel from having a couple of roommates (not to mention, you'll save money). Having roommates is a practical solution to foreseen problems of living abroad. You have someone you can go to when you need help or need information or need support, or need friendship. When I lived in China, each of the visiting instructors had our own furnished 2-bedroom apartments. I was ALWAYS hanging out in the other instructors' apartments, or, would host gatherings in my apartment, or I would keep my apartment door wide open for students and the other foreign instructors to pop in and visit me. It definitely de-escalated my anxiety surrounding myself with people on campus as a visiting instructor.

It's amazing the impact that culture shock and reverse culture shock can have on a person. And we don't even realize it because those effects can last for a long time.

I think it is fantastic that you want to stay in Europe to live and work. Would that I could reverse time, I would have planned out my life to live and work abroad in Europe.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote