View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Feb 26, 2020 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebicycle View Post
What's wrong with cauliflower pizza crust? Does it have a weird flavor or something? Genuine question.

I have never tried polenta before, but I can put that on my list. Thanks for the idea.
Hi bluebicycle. If I dislike something, of course it doesn't mean that everyone would. I just found the flavor and texture of the cauliflower crusts I've had undesirable (some slightly sour and/or just didn't mesh well with the sauce and/or toppings). I've tried four different brands. Maybe there would be some other brand that was better. I do really like cauliflower. I find it an excellent substitute for potatoes, especially boiled potatoes. I have also had the mashed cauliflower and found that nice. Again, as a sub for potatoes.

Making homemade polenta can be a bit of work. The "quick cook" is easier. When you make polenta for the sake of frying, it is initially like a corn meal mush (but the polenta corn meal is different than regular corn meal). It can be plain, or have some flavorings added (i.e. herbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic). Then I usually put it in a loaf pan and let it harden (some hours) and chill in the fridge. Then I slice it and fry it until it's crisp. It could also be hardened in a pizza shape in a round cake or frying pan. Typical pizza toppings can be added on top and melted/heated in an oven or toaster oven. It is different than flour crusts, but if you like polenta it's nice. Some grocery stores sell pre-made polenta usually in the shape of a tube. In those cases, it is ready to slice and fry. I guess frying isn't mandatory, but the crispness is very appealing, in my view. Here's a picture of a pre-made polenta in a tube.

Here's an example of a fancy recipe for polenta pizza, but you could simply put your own toppings on it. This NY Times recipe opens only once per day, unless you have a subscription: Polenta ‘Pizza’ With Pancetta and Spinach Recipe - NYT Cooking

I'm not exactly a picky eater, but I can be a harsh food critic.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Sunflower123