View Single Post
NicoB97

Member Since Apr 2018
Default Mar 10, 2020 at 02:18 PM

Hi! I'll jump right to the issue:

I was diagnosed (or semi-diagnosed as my psychiatrist does not believe fully in diagnostic labels) with major depression, and after a few intents on many meds I finally stabilized on 10 mg olanzapine, 100 mg sertraline, and 300 mg bupropion. The thing is, I recently found out that one of the possible side effects of taking olanzapine is tardive dyskinesia, and the perspective of having it all my life, and that it is often untreatable, scared me a bit. So I talked about it with my doctor, and he said that TD is very rare, and that it has an incidence of only 1 in 100.000 cases. But all I have found and read and seen on the internet (and in psychiatric publications) says otherwise: that it is rather common for people taking any antipsychotic, that 1 out of 4 people will, in time, develop it, and so on; so what I wanted to ask you was if my doctor is misinformed, and does not have the facts right; or if he is simply lying to me. I have never had any delusions or hallucinations whatsoever, so I also don't really feel it's absolutely neccesary that I keep taking it. I know it is regularly prescribed for depression, but since I am already taking two antidepressants, and have been relatively well for over two and a half years, I think it may be possible for me to cut olanzapine. (I don't have a problem, btw, with antidepressants, I actually think those are necessary to keep my depression from reappearing).

I apologize if the text isn't very clear; English is not my mother tongue. I'm actually studiyng English these days.
NicoB97 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist