Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 15, 2020 at 11:51 AM

Hi steppers,

Facing a medium hard step currently as my 9 year old MacBook Air is beginning to show signs of imminent failure. My 'e' and 'o' keys have taken to only working when they feel like it. If it were the Q key or even the Z key I mightn't mind as much.

So today, I'm trying out using my Mac keyboard. So far, I'm loving it. Don't have to distract with worrying about typing e or o.

Here's the deal, sandwiched between 2015 and 2019-2020, Apple changed their laptop keyboards. They tried a 'butterfly' design after long use of a 'scissor' design. The newer idea needed less space so they could make the machines thinner. Customer response, not so great, and beginning last fall Apple switched back to the scissor design.

So for maybe $1500 or $1600 I can wait to get the latest, greatest 2020. OR, for less that $1000 I can get a 2015 model both with the classic keyboard. As I see I wear out keys, the keyboard is important. Crucial now is the ability to keep up with OS changes, and 2015 models have that capacity.

So, writing this out has helped. I'll look for vintage refurbished 2015 models for under $1000 with a warranty. Make a little tracking/comparison table, and see what shakes free.

Step wisely,
Revu2

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
unaluna