View Single Post
bpcyclist
Legendary

Member Since Sep 2019
40.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 24, 2020 at 12:03 PM

Hey, jtassar. So very sorry you are struggling with these difficult issues. Many people here on this forum can relate personally. I have panic attacks and +++ anxiety when in mixed states. For me, the only med that has ever really directly helped with those things has been Klonopin. The problem with that is that it aggravates my depression, big-time, and also makes me a zombie. So, I won't take it anymore. Was on Buspar for a long time. Don't think it did a thing. Some folks say Seroquel helps with their anxiety, but it has not done so for me. To the extent that a person's anxiety symptoms are related to underlying and coexisting mania, a good mood stabilizer can sometimes also help. I am on both lithium and Depakote for this reason, in part.

My illness is currently very psychosis-dominant and my anxiety is, at times, through the stratosphere. As I am not on any anxiety meds, I rely solely on coping skills. Specifically, deep breathing/Buddhist breathing, a la Thich Nhat Hanh, for example/whatever your term of preference is for this sort of thing. It is hugely helpful when I am in a panic and out of control. Prayer is also a go-to. Exercise (ride the bike) and yoga help a ton. I also find CBT and DBT to be very helpful in coping with anxiety. I use both every day, often, multiple times per day.
Med changes may certainly help, but as wisely pointed out above, every patient responds differently. You will just have to sort through this with your pdoc, preferably, one change at a time.
Sending you support and strength and perseverence!! You can do this!!!

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, Fuzzybear