Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Open Eyes Not a Unicorn, just another horse

10 yr Member
21.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 25, 2020 at 03:35 PM

It's actually very common. Imagining you have special powers and can be a hero of somekind is very common for young children to embrace as a coping method to help them deal with their childhood trauma. As we grow into adult hood and learn more skills to cope these often fade. For some however, they may still need to embrace the "I have these special powers" delusions. This can activate the same area of the brain that lights up when engaging in religious prayers or ceremonies and can be seen in the brains of individuals with different religious beliefs too.

Unfortunately, what they are slowly seeing in the brains of individuals that struggle with ptsd is how the brain itself changes from trauma. This is why a person often talks about not feeling the same as they used to feel. Often individuals will say "Why can't I Just like I used to?". This is due to how the brain was affected and changed, it's NOT a decision at all.

Sadly, for those who struggle, they often receive comments from others who really have no clue what PTSD means, is "Just ignore, Just don't allow, Just avoid and the worst, just let it go, and you better just snap out if it. None of that is helpful at all.

Each person is a little different as some are more severe than others. Also, a lot depends on the kind of trauma a person experienced too. What one considers traumatic may not be something another person considers all that traumatic.

I cannot stress enough that it's important to work with a therapist that specializes in "trauma therapy". It's best to find one that keeps up with all that is being learned about ptsd and affective treatments too.
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
Alatea, cptsdwhoa, Quietmind 2