View Single Post
splitimage
Community Support Team

Member Since Mar 2006
75 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 26, 2020 at 07:02 AM

In larger centres, groups do exist, but you kind of have to know where / how to look.

There are often drop in centres for people with MI but they're often dominated by the homeless or people who are pretty low functioning, but if you find a good one it can be golden. They often offer support groups.

I wouldn't give up on NAMI - you may need to call them and be explicit about what you're looking for. I'm in Can., so it's different organizations but we have the Canadian Mental Health Agency that offers among other things support groups.

Also look for a mental health clubhouse. The last word is important, and that they be certified as a clubhouse. That's an international organization of mental health clubhouses that operate on the principle of recovery through meaningful activity. We have a clubhouse here in Toronto, and I'm a member and I love it. During the day, when you're there, you're expected to be doing some kind of work to keep the place operating - I usually work in the clerical section. They serve very low cost meals, and in the evenings and on weekends they offer social programming. Everyone is pretty high functioning, Not sure where you are in NJ, but there might be one in NYC, once the pandemic is over with.

Good luck.

splitimage

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favourite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

splitimage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote