Yaowen
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2020
6,475 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Dear JohnnyB,

I think it is wonderful that you are trying to help. I really admire you for that.

One drawback of articles, whether on the Internet or in print is their brevity. Sometimes it helps to go to full length books for ideas.

Books can be quite expensive, but since you live in the USA I know that there are public libraries where books are available and books that are not on the shelves of these libraries can often be obtained through something that I think is called "Interlibrary Loan."

I was most helped with my own anxiety and with helping those I loved suffering from various anxiety disorders by reading books, especially books by cognitive therapists. One book that was most helpful to me was written by a famous cognitive therapist by the name of Leahy. I don't remember his full name any more. Nor do I remember the exact title of his book. I think it had the word "Worry" in the title.

Please do not think I am trying to promote his book or those of cognitive therapists since there may be better types of books and authors.

As someone who struggles against PTSD, anxiety and panic disorder, I was most helped by such books and by medical treatment.

Since I was helped both by books written by cognitive therapists and by medication, I don't know which modality contributed the most to my recovery.

I also was blessed to have people like you in my life who gave me encouragement, compassion, understanding and consolation.

I am so grateful to the researchers and doctors, the psychologists and all others who helped me. They are all heroes in my eyes.

You are a remarkable person. I wish you only good things now and in the future, JohnnyB. I wish you only the best.

Hopefullyyou will get many responses to your post and that some will have ideas that will be helpful to you.

Sincerely yours, -- Yao Wen
PS: Sorry if my English is not very good>
Yaowen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
JohnnyB0913

Thanks for this!
JohnnyB0913