View Single Post
Anonymous35014

Default Mar 27, 2020 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyDinosaur View Post
Yeah, this sounds all too familiar. I also tend to be unable to moderate my purchases in the sense of getting just what I need for a new hobby. Instead I want the absolute top of the line product. For example I might decide that my new hobby is going to be astronomy and so I need a telescope. Rather than buying a simple one first and seeing if I like it I'll just go all out and buy a super expensive semi-professional one. Then the hypomania dies down and I lose interest, and I have this telescope just sitting around for a few years until I finally get rid of it. My wife tries to stop me but I can be very hard to control at times like that.
Yep, I feel you on the premium products. I think this hobby is going to last forever, "so I might as well buy top of the line so that it lasts me decades!!!"

What a waste of money on my part.

Sometimes I even buy lots of used items off eBay or used book sites. Then of course I can't return the items... because they're used. I can try to resell on eBay or similar sites like Mercari, but doing that is just a real pain in the @ss.

The worst part of it all is that I have my credit card number MEMORIZED. I know the numbers, including the CVV number. I can try to pretend I lost my card to get a new number from my credit card company, but I mean... I'll just end up memorizing it again and I will be out $50 because that's how much it takes to replace a card these days.

I wish I knew a solution for you, but unfortunately, I don't. Just wanted to say that I feel you on this. I really do. It's difficult.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote