Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,341 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 05, 2020 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd rock View Post
I feel sad and dispirited because of the views of my union rep on the topic of addicts and addiction. His views are very cruel; I don't really want to go into greater detail except to say I see his posts on Facebook openly deriding people with addictions in our community. As I have had problems with addiction I can't help but feel as though he lacks empathy for his own brothers. I feel like he is unknowingly putting me down. There are others as well in our union who have addiction problems. He is putting them down as well.
That's a pretty disappointing attitude for soneone who has assumed the position of being an advocate. (I am assuming that being a union rep is a role of advocating on behalf of his union co-workers.) He probably shouldn't be in that position. This is the unfortunate side of facebook, where people use it to engage in this kind of antagonistic posturing.

I understand the hurt. I am facebook friends with a few people (family connections) who post memes that aggressively disparage those who differ from them politically, which includes me. These are persons who would be very gracious toward me, when we are together in social situations. Yet they think it's just fine to spew out this ugliness - and it does get ugly - on social media. I almost want to call them on how disrespectful they are being, but instead I just refuse to even engage in this stuff. Some people aren't really capable of being educated. They take stances that are simplistic and based on being unwilling to think and understand the complexities of the human condition. It's a kind of mental laziness.

Hugs from:
3rd rock, Anonymous49071, Breaking Dawn, Fuzzybear, Sunflower123, zapatoes

Thanks for this!
3rd rock, Breaking Dawn