cptsdwhoa
Veteran Member

Member Since Jul 2018
441 hugs
given
Default Apr 07, 2020 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
It's actually very common. Imagining you have special powers and can be a hero of somekind is very common for young children to embrace as a coping method to help them deal with their childhood trauma. As we grow into adult hood and learn more skills to cope these often fade. For some however, they may still need to embrace the "I have these special powers" delusions. This can activate the same area of the brain that lights up when engaging in religious prayers or ceremonies and can be seen in the brains of individuals with different religious beliefs too.

Unfortunately, what they are slowly seeing in the brains of individuals that struggle with ptsd is how the brain itself changes from trauma. This is why a person often talks about not feeling the same as they used to feel. Often individuals will say "Why can't I Just like I used to?". This is due to how the brain was affected and changed, it's NOT a decision at all.

Sadly, for those who struggle, they often receive comments from others who really have no clue what PTSD means, is "Just ignore, Just don't allow, Just avoid and the worst, just let it go, and you better just snap out if it. None of that is helpful at all.

Each person is a little different as some are more severe than others. Also, a lot depends on the kind of trauma a person experienced too. What one considers traumatic may not be something another person considers all that traumatic.

I cannot stress enough that it's important to work with a therapist that specializes in "trauma therapy". It's best to find one that keeps up with all that is being learned about ptsd and affective treatments too.
I very much agree with this, and I thank you for posting it. I wonder if my second diagnosis is accurate very often because I've read about psychosis occurring due to trauma. I've noticed lessening of the Schizoaffective symptoms as I've gotten further along in my recovery journey.

I don't believe that my therapist will change the diagnosis officially, but it still helps to know that there is help for the CPTSD and it's calming the Schizoaffective symptoms (whether accurate or not). I'm grateful that she is trained in trauma. The tools I've learned are helpful.

She mentioned something that your comment brought to my memory. There are some that want PTSD renamed to Post Traumatic Stress Injury (PTSI). She mentioned the things that you wrote here about how trauma affects the brain. It may not be as clearly understood as a disorder one could be born with, but more an injury that damages the brain (due to trauma). She encouraged me to view my recovery as someone learning to heal an injury.
cptsdwhoa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
Open Eyes