Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
74.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 13, 2020 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrademoomoo View Post
It can open up people's experiences of intimacy, change, (un)belonging, family, boundaries, familiarity, and so on. These are big and difficult experiences for many clients and I can empathise with how it is strange and complex for some people to work in this new way.

Agreed. It also shifts the "frame" of therapy, where you always meet in the same place. Though I suppose meeting over video chat or phone does that anyway. And it also blurs professional/personal life more, which can be a bit jarring, especially if a T has fairly strict boundaries on sharing stuff about their personal life. And if someone has paternal/maternal and/or erotic transference for their T, I imagine seeing their home, especially if there's any signs of their family there, could possibly intensify that. With the exception of one session, my T has still been conducting video sessions from his regular office, which has helped. (He's a solo practitioner, so doesn't come into contact with anyone.)

He also says it's easier to focus at his office than at home. That at home, there's the thought in the back of his mind of "will a family member come up the stairs?" (he has a wife and a son, who's maybe 12?) And I understand that, because I've been distracted by hearing my daughter screaming from a couple floors away (townhouse) while in session. Because Dr. T told me that, if he starts doing all his sessions from home, then it will likely be in the back of *my* mind that he's less focused and more distractible, so I might be looking for signs of that (I'm hypervigilant anyway).
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty