View Single Post
WorriedParent15

Member Since Apr 2020
Default Apr 16, 2020 at 08:04 AM

I have already talked to a lawyer about this but I am looking for advice on how to talk to my child about the below.

A little background, I have 100% physical and Legal custody with the other parent (I will leave out genders for anonymity) having a day visit every other sunday. Generally if things were going well, and the other parents behavior was good (they have alcohol issues) I would allow more time accordingly and stick to the court order during those times things were not going well. Basically I would assess the situation for safety and make a decision every other weekend if my child could go for extra time or not.

During Covid 19 I have stuck to just the court order, and gotten a lot of angry texts about being taken back to court, because I won't let my child over there for more time. To the point I was nervous the other parent might try something and keep my child, but two visits so far and no issues other than angry texts.

The big thing is I got my child a phone, so if while working at home they wanted to reach out to their other parent or any family member they had a phone to use freely. So the other parent has the ability to text and call.

Some samples of texts my child has gotten from the other parent "I pray every night you are allowed to come more than just sunday this weekend, it's not fair your "mom/dad" won't let you come see me, they are working from home and not paying attention to you, I would never do that to you"

"I miss you soo much I continue to pray that you will be allowed to come see me more this weekend, you have a phone now because your "mom/dad" is more worried about their phone and being on it then allowing you to use it"

"You are the most important thing in the world to me, not some phone"

Obviously I have to work from home during this covid19 stuff, and I am grateful I have a job when most are getting laid off. I got my child the phone so they would have complete access to anyone in their family they wanted to talk to, on both sides of the family, during a scary time.

On top of that, outside of those texts in the few days leading up to the visit, there has been very little contact, no calls, no other texts. Unless my child texts or calls first, then there is a quick response but a child at age 7 shouldn't have to be the one that reaches out to a parent, the parent should reach out.

On top of that, my child has an older sibling, that isn't mine. That sibling is in the same situation lives with the other parent, has every other weekend visits, and that sibling gets calls daily. So it's weird that my ex is calling one of her children daily but not my child? Then gas lights my child through texts in the days leading up to the visit.

Anyone faced this before?
WorriedParent15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady, Yaowen

Thanks for this!
mote.of.soul, Skeezyks