View Single Post
procrastinator110

Member Since Apr 2020
Default Apr 26, 2020 at 12:12 PM

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I want to present my here as a young guy over the twenties. I am really happy to join this forum as I today decided that I finally want to change my life. I have admitted myself that I need some "outside" help for this as I simply can't cope with it anymore. For now, I can't afford a therapist right now, but if no one here will be able to help I will, of course, try to get a therapist.

So i want to tell a little story about myself, i will make it short.

I am a pretty quiet guy with a friendly personality, that desire to make a successful career. But because of my extreme procrastination problem as i have it today, it is extremely hard for me to study, learn new things, etc.

It started when i was a teenager 16 years old. I was bullied in school, pretty much for my fatness and my low self-esteem.

So "sadly" I took the wrong turn, I got hooked up by these consumers snake-oil self-help books. "Affirmations, Visualizations, positive thinking" which made my life actually worse. You know; you have some problem, type your problem in google and these advertised self-help snake oil books pops up first, i have been scammed so much

So these self-help books made my self-esteem, self-worth, even more, worse then it was, to begin with. Then I turned over to spirituality, religion different things. Energy therapy, NLP. All different pseudoscientific things which made my life worse and worse.

And i "knew" inside that I was just procrastinating. Instead of doing the things i wanted and feared, i read that book, that recommendation, that blog, that video about it. But never did it. So I developed procrastination, which is caused by (in my case) decision paralysis or analysis paralysis whatever it is called.

My brain is addicted to getting mass information to base my actions on. I can't make decisions for myself, every time I want to make a decision my brain paralysis and jumps around in all the spiritual books, self-help books, blogs i read about and the brain can't just choose anything and then I end up procrastinating and doing "comfortable" things. This has really destroyed my life.

It goes like this:

Instead of approaching people to meet new people I read and try to find the perfect information on how to approach people (never going out to meet people). Instead of studying and fighting procrastination, I try to find the perfect information on how to beat procrastination and study (never begin to study). It is an evil circle now. And it has really developed itself now.

Every time i want to jump out of my comfort zone and do a decision, my brain begins to associate my decisions based on all the books, the information I have gotten it's trying to make the perfect decision. My brain goes like this "Hmm i will do it as this book told me, no i don't feel like it, i try to accept my feelings as the other spiritual book said, i can't i just do it! Hmm i will google and try to find out why i can't make decisions" And it just goes in circles and circles and never getting the thing done i want to do.

It is a big problem, because i am addicted to this. And i can clearly see the problem, I have TOO much information in my brain, my cup is full of useless knowledge of how i "should" do the things.

2 Days ago i made a decision to stop denying my problems and seek some scientific, professional help. I found the Psychological Self-help website which is a serious website with scientific-based content.

What i want to do, is that I want to let go of all this knowledge, from all these self-help books, spirituality books, and build self-reliance. I want to take action, instead of thinking about taking action. Taking risks, trial and error, and so on.

I keenly ask for help. Some cooping strategies or some techniques to let go of the knowledge and allow myself to just make "decisions" more with my intuition, instead of rationalizing about it with the mass information each time.

Thanks in advance.
And have a good day everyone.
procrastinator110 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
hvert

Thanks for this!
WastingAsparagus