Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

8 yr Member
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile May 08, 2020 at 02:28 PM

You mentioned you're in your twenties. I'm in my 70's! I can (dimly) recall being concerned about my uniqueness when I was young. But as I've aged I've come to realize there's absolutely nothing about me that's unique... despite those who say things like everyone's unique. (Perhaps there is some uniqueness in the way one's individual collection of characteristics is different from everyone else's though?) There are probably 20 men, just in the city I live in, who have the same first & last name I do. One day in a restaurant, a while back, a guy came up to me, shook my hand, & said I look just like a friend of his.

In some ways this is a benefit. All of my life I've struggled with some mental health issues that caused me to feel I must be the only person in the world who was saddled with such weirdness. (I'll spare you the details.) Of course for most of my life there was no internet. So I was completely isolated with my weirdness. As I've spent time on the internet over the past few years, however, I've come to realize I'm not unique in my weirdness either. There are even internet forums with hundreds of members dedicated to them! (I wish I could have known that way back when I was young.) So, while the desire to be somehow unique can perhaps seem discouraging when one tries to find one's uniqueness & can't, the fact that in the end no one is truly unique can sometimes also be a benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote