View Single Post
cptsdwhoa
Veteran Member

Member Since Jul 2018
441 hugs
given
Default May 14, 2020 at 10:10 AM

Hello everyone.

I was searching for some information on how trauma affects the brain since I've been having a hard time lately and I came across this paper.

https://www.rachelsvineyard.org/Downloads/Canada%20Conference%2008/TextOfBrainPP.pdf

There's a section that says:

Dissociation is a separation of the elements of the traumatic experience, which REDUCES the impact of the experience. Floating above body Traumatized people are used to dissociation, not feeling their bodies; the memories cause them to shut themselves down, go numb, blank and frozen in order not to feel anything. Trauma can be intrusive. It can interpret and dictate your current life.

I didn't understand that all of these years I was experiencing dissociation.

I'm struggling lately, and have gone numb again. I know it will eventually lift, and I will be ready to face things again. I'm trying to not stay in this place too long. But lately I've developed a nervous tic any time I start to think about things I don't want to deal with or are struggling to work through.

Has this ever happened to you? How did you work through it?

It was so bad one day I talked with a stutter. Mostly, it's body twitches and vocal grunts

Hugs from:
Alatea, Breaking Dawn, Fuzzybear, Yaowen