View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers
*Beth* is practicing healthy breathing for brain, mind, body, spirit.

3 yr Member
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 22, 2020 at 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
I am certainly the age to be experiencing perimenopause. I am 49. A while back, I suspected it could be starting because of my tendency to sweat suddenly with just light activity. Or maybe that was more anxiety? Or my psychiatrist said just being out of shape. I asked my gynecologist about it maybe three or more years ago and she said that I was not yet going through perimenopause. My periods were still normal, so perhaps she was right back then. But these past few months they haven't been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
In my experience, the sweating is perimenopause/menopause! Why very few MD's know that is beyond me. Even gyn's aren't always realistic. Periods can still be normal, even when perimenopause is occurring.

As for weight - when I was thin I heard "It's because you're too thin." When I was fat I heard "It's because you're overweight."

I'm very cautious about the "weight" excuse when they don't know what else to say.

I had no period at all during the March-April time frame. Then I got it finally the next month and it seemed normal (7 days long, which was my life average period length.) But instead of coming back after the standard 28 to 31 day cycle, I got it a second time only 17 days after the beginning of my previous period. I am now on day 8 of this second one. I think it is almost over, but I am not sure. I have taken an iron supplement recently, given the length.

Welcome to the beginning of menopause, sister

Is the above normal for perimenopause? Particularly the two periods in a short time? I have been severely stressed out for a good two/three months, about unrelated things. I wonder if that is playing some part? Just missing a period wouldn't have bothered me as much. When I did, I wondered if it was hyperprolactemia from my Seroquel, but maybe not. No lactation.

I'm quite sure that psych meds affect our cycles - and many times it was somewhat difficult for me to differentiate between menopause and med side-effects. That said, what you've described (the pattern of your periods, the sweating) is perimenopause, yes.

I did schedule a video session with my gynecologist for mid next week. [I will be fully dressed the whole time ] I had had an annual face-to-face appointment with her scheduled back in March, but it was delayed twice because of the coronavirus pandemic.

That's really good. But here's the thing...find places, whether online or IRL (when we can again meet in groups) - places that discuss menopause with real women going through, or who have gone through, it. In my experience, doctors are not always the best people to share the day-to-day feelings and physical events of menopause with. It's the women who have life experience...they're the ones who can coach you.

There are some valuable menopause sites that I have turned to and been so grateful when women shared their experiences with me, when I was confused or afraid.

Note: I have also had ovarian cysts and cervical polyps for some years now. They have always been benign, but I wonder if one of them is playing a part in my period chaos.

That is not something I know too much about. Well, that's not entirely true, actually. I had a large benign ovarian cyst that had to be removed (it had destroyed my ovary). At the time I paid close attention, but didn't notice that the cyst had affected my periods. But the cyst did seem to have an effect on other peri symptoms - or the peri affected the cyst. EXTREME anxiety that came on very suddenly when I was 48...major hot flashes and terrible sweating (ugh!). Weight gain.

What I noticed about perimenopause was that so many aspects of my physical self changed,over about 4 years. It started out mild; by the time I had almost stopped or stopped having periods there was a lot going on. Physical oddities, periods that were almost hemorrhagic bleeding - then one barely spotting 15 days later. I remember thinking No wonder it's called 'the change'! Because that was exactly what it felt like - a very, very big change.

I had my last period 2 years ago, but I still have mild changes going on. Hot flashes now and then, sweating...sometimes I feel like I stepped into another woman's body.

I hope some of what I've written helps you some, Birdie.
Menopause is an enormous time of changes and needs to be so much more openly discussed in society, just as pregnancy is. Not something to hide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated