View Single Post
jesyka
Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2020
270 hugs
given
Default Jun 04, 2020 at 06:44 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I googled information about ADD but I'd like to know more about what it's like from people who have it. I'd also like to know what it's like to deal with people who have ADD and what your experiences been like.

I'm asking because a friend of mine told me that she has ADD, but I think that she's lying about it as it does seem that she CAN control her behaviour at times with effort.

Anyways, is it common for people with ADD to seem like they're not listening to you at all? Do they get distracted and do things like start talking about a different topic or running off constantly when they see something else that interests them? Example, my friend would just leave my side and look at dogs without saying anything when we went for walks and not excuse herself or say sorry.

She'd also obsess over FB on her phone and constantly check her texts and FB on the phone. She'd say, I got a text. She'd still check her texts which were non emergency texts and not apologize for things.

She stopped doing that after I told her numerous times how rude that is and to not call me if she can't focus on the conversation at the time. She did stop doing that, but it took her awhile to stop.

Also, she refuses to get a diagnosis or get on ADD meds. She told me that since her other friends and the people at work and her clients have no issue with the way that she is, then there is no need for her to get help as her issues with ADD are just "quirks'.

She told me that I was being intolerant and that I'm the only one who ever complained about her being rude, ugh! I'm sure that other people think that she's rude too, but they probably don't want o upset her as she can't seem to take any kind of criticism.

She actually started crying in public when I tried to kindly set boundaries with her. That's when she told me that she has "ADD' and 'OCD'/ after knowing her for over 3 years back in last year of November .

I call b.s as why wouldn't she tell me that sooner? She told me that I was placing 'restrictions' on her and that she doesn't believe in boundaries, but THEN she tried to set them with me right after that and that I should respect HER boundaries by not telling her about my personal problems anymore as she can't handle the "negativity".

Does anyone else think that sounds suspicious? She is definitely sneaky and indirect with how she likes to communicate and has even admitted that to me. I'd appreciate any insight and responses.

Also, I'm not trying to judge people who have ADD. I sympathize with them. With her though, she CAN control her behaviour. When someone really does have ADD, are they not able to control their behaviour without medication?

And does medication help with focus and behaviour?
jesyka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote