Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
314 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 22, 2020 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post
In November of 2018 I applied for SSDI for bipolar disorder and PTSD. Of course, my initial application was turned down so I hired a lawyer. Everything look promising. I did all required paperwork, and met all deadlines, etc. All doctors sent in good (helpful) reports. My lawyer was mostly helpful; not a lot of communication, but he gave me basic direction.

An additional disability was added to my case because I had surgery (achilles tendon) in late May of this year.

After one year and 9 months I've been notified that my hearing is on July 30th. All looking good. Until - my lawyer looked at my employment records from EDD and found out that, while I worked for 13 years at the same job, it was part time. Apparently I didn't make enough money to earn more than about $200/month for SSDI (plus Medicare). He informed me of this a few weeks ago.

Huge disappointment. I mean...I'll definitely take whatever I can get, because I need it. But it seems wacky to me that because of a mental illness I worked only part time, but I'm eligible for only a small amount from SSDI because...I have a mental illness.

My lawyer said I can apply for SSI and he encouraged me to do do, but that he doubts I'll be approved for SSI since my husband's income is just slightly about poverty level (he's retired, but receives veteran's disability, social security, and a very small monthly amount from an annuity his parents left to him - about $250/month for that).

The thing is I don't have any income myself. I was married at a young age and was an at-home mom. When my kids got older I worked part-time. So, there it is.

I'm wondering if anyone receiving SSI (or SSDI) and has any info or tips to share?

That sucks,I'm sorry about that.

It wouldn't hurt to at least apply for SSI,there's a chance you could be eligible depending on how much income your husband gets. SSI doesn't go by how much you have worked it goes by present income.

It's worth a shot.
Betty_Banana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Wild Coyote