View Single Post
DarkDevil26

Member Since Jun 2020
15 hugs
given
Default Jun 28, 2020 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motts View Post
Hi DarkDevil. Anxiety is no fun. I am older than you and I too have experienced panic attacks while hanging out in social settings in public with people. I too feel like, if I don't go out and socialize, I am missing out. So it feels like a Catch-22 situation.

One time, I went out with a large group and we had fun. I got home but was so wired from being around so many people that I'm not used to, I had an asthma attack and was up all night.

Another time, I went out by myself to listen to some music at a very small venue. I had a great time. But, when I got home, it was midnight, and again, I had an asthma attack and was up all night from the anxiety of being out alone, anxiety about my asthma attack (my asthma gets triggered by my anxiety a lot), and the albuterol that makes the heart race, gave me anxiety.

The only advice I can offer, is to know your limits and set them with people and do not do anything to please other people. They don't understand how complex anxiety is as a disorder. It can be triggered by everything or nothing.

Next time, set a limit. Tell your friends you can only hang out with so-and-so, and such-and-such venue. Or just at your place. Until you feel less anxious. Take baby steps. Do not let them guilt trip you or mock you, in order to get you to come and hang out with them. If they do anything like tease you, then they are not being good friends to you.

You are not helpless. But, the hard part is you have to take control of your life. You have to set limits and create boundaries with people. Some people will be ok with that.

Others, who view you as more of an acquaintance will make you feel bad about yourself for setting limits that keep you comfortable, that may interfere with their intentions with you.

You are young, but you can do this. Stop letting other people dictate your social life. It's YOUR social life. You call the shots. The people who care about you, will respect that.
I really wanted to just break out of my shell, I’m so tired of not feeling connected to other people, so I’d thought I’d try this, I was hesitant on going, but in the end it didn’t work out. I want to be more social, meet new people, create new friendships, and maybe even find a romantic partner, but I can’t do any of that until I get out of my own way. I feel theres a whole world I’m missing out on.
DarkDevil26 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote