Thread: Memories
View Single Post
guy1111

Member Since Apr 2018
Default Jun 29, 2020 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motts View Post
No, don't rely on EMDR to help you. There's been actual research that shows that EMDR can be more harmful than helpful to people who are trying to heal from past traumas.

Is your therapist board certified? She does not sound like a good therapist at all. Of course you have to focus on the past if you want to get rid of the past trauma.

Don't dwell on the past. But if your trauma is still giving you physical triggers, you haven't fully healed from it. Only thorough cognitive behavioral or dialectical behavioral therapy or PTSD focused therapy will help. But EMDR? Stay away from that.
I have been doing EMDR for a while now and it works great. My symptoms have gone down dramatically! I agree it is extremely intense and you must have a good therapist who can teach you how to calm yourself down before you start. Some sessions I spend the last 10 minutes calming down, then it takes several days for me to fully recover, but afterwards I get permanent relief. Yes, be very careful, and know that it is not for the faint of heart.
guy1111 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Rive1976