View Single Post
TunedOut
Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Thumbs up Jul 30, 2020 at 06:39 AM

My chemotherapy was two days ago and I am sleeping all of the time, more than twelve hours a day. I can eat but don't want to eat as much and a couple of times after eating when I felt a little nauseated, I took prochlorperazine maleate 10 mg. In the morning, they gave me dexamethasone 8 mg twice a day which is steroid so it makes me feel jumpy about a half an hour after I take it but the jump feeling only lasts about an hour--I have never liked steriods. Lastly, they gave me Olanzapine 10 mg to prevent nausea and vomiting but I find it interesting that the main use for this drug is "is used to treat certain mental/mood conditions (such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder). It may also be used in combination with other medication to treat depression. This medication can help to decrease hallucinations and help you to think more clearly and positively about yourself, feel less agitated, and take a more active part in everyday life (from WebMD.com)." However, a family member also sent me this:

Chemotherapy-induced acute and delayed nausea or vomiting (high emetic risk [>90%]), preventionLevel of Evidence [A, G]

Data from a randomized, phase 3 study support the use of oral olanzapine (in combination with dexamethasone and palonosetron) for the prevention of acute and delayed chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in chemotherapy-naive patients receiving highly emetogenic chemotherapy RefNavari 2011. Data from a multicenter, randomized, phase 3 study also support the use of oral olanzapine (in combination with triplet antiemetic therapy) for prevention of acute and delayed chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in patients receiving highly emetogenic chemotherapy RefHashimoto 2020. Data from a randomized, phase 2 study that included chemotherapy-naive patients who received moderately and highly emetogenic chemotherapy regimens also suggest that oral olanzapine (in combination with dexamethasone and palonosetron) may be beneficial for prevention of acute and delayed nausea and vomiting RefNavari 2007.

Based on antiemetic guidelines from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), oral olanzapine may be used for prevention of acute and delayed chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (in combination with antiemetics used for high emetic risk agents) in patients receiving highly emetogenic chemotherapy RefASCO [Hesketh 2017].

https://online.lexi.com/lco/graphics/minus.png Chemotherapy-induced breakthrough nausea or vomiting, treatmentLevel of Evidence [A, G]

Data from a randomized, controlled, phase 3 study support the use of oral olanzapine in the management of breakthrough nausea and vomiting associated with highly emetogenic chemotherapy RefNavari 2013.

Based on antiemetic guidelines from the ASCO, oral olanzapine may be used for management of breakthrough nausea and vomiting (if olanzapine was not part of the standard prophylactic regimen) RefASCO [Hesketh 2017].

I will continue to take all the drugs as prescribed because I dislike throwing up which I am told is very common with the chemotherapy I am on:
Doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide
Apparently, I am quite poisonous for about four days, they said even my saliva is poisonous so no kissing or anything like that for a few days. If I were to throw up (crossing my fingers and taking all my meds so i don't), if someone cleans it they should use a mask and gloves! and if it isn't cleaned, when it dries, it could release toxins in the air. I won't go into the full precaution list I was given but they said to even be careful about petting cats and dogs and don't garden (there are germs in the dirt).
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Discombobulated, happysobercrafter, TishaBuv, Travelinglady, unaluna