View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,628 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 31, 2020 at 10:10 AM

Well, so I got laid off, which was initially a shock and bummer, but then I adjusted and now I feel fine and in fact, am far happier.

But now I have ALL this free time on my hands, and I am one to always need to keep my mind busy, so I am attempting to immerse myself in only positive endeavors that make me feel good and in self care activities that will keep my spirits up during a pandemic and a low time in my life.

The other day I drove 40 minutes to the beach by myself and spent a luxurious three hours enjoying the sun, the surf and the sounds of seagulls. It was a much needed mental health break that allowed me to clear my mind of all the junk and clutter. The beach is my refuge for when I need to obtain peaceful feelings again. And it did JUST that for me. I returned feeling entirely rejuvenated.

Then, I shopped at the local thrift store and picked up some cute clothing items for less than $20, while on a tight budget.

Then, I had a truly wonderful meetup with my closest and dearest girlfriend for dinner, just the two of us. I hadn't seen her in two years due to distance and scheduling, but we talk regularly on the phone.

I also called her yesterday to vent about an issue I had, and she was such an amazing support and source of grounding for me. Dear friends are SO very precious, and I am SO deeply grateful to have her in my life.

Today, I applied for a job, so I got that out of the way. I've been decorating my apartment more, and later I will attend an outdoor socially distant concert with my husband.

Then early next week, I am heading back to my favorite beach with two girlfriends for some quality girl time. That should be really fun!

And I am supposed to meet for drinks with my former CEO to discuss how he can help me network to find a job.

What else? I got my nails done for relatively cheap money. And I just got my first COVID haircut after four months of letting it grow out.

I want to start writing again, which is most cathartic for me, and I will be writing in my journal much more since I have so much free time. Journaling is also very cathartic for me.

I am also connecting with all my Facebook friends for support and to commiserate about layoffs and our lives right now -- Facebook is also providing me with some much needed levity during this time period. Even through social distancing, I feel very connected to my network of friends.

So, these are all the positive endeavors I am immersing myself in and am pursuing to help me to stay positive and afloat during a rough time.

I am enjoying the serenity and solitude right now that this life event has brought on, though it can feel a little lonely. But I am OK! As long as I keep doing self care activities, I know I will be just fine.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote