seesaw
Human

seesaw grieving

8 yr Member
1,262 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 01, 2020 at 08:24 AM

Your post really resonates with me. I, too, try to refrain from self diagnosing or diagnosing others. I try to go by behaviors and actual problems that I can help with versus trying to give someone a diagnosis, which isn't my job. I also find self diagnosing really disturbing as my bio father tried to do this to me and it was very abusive behavior, and created numerous problems for me.

I know for me, for example, I have certain physical symptoms happening with me ear and head, so I've been researching to see what kind of referral I might need, because healthcare systems are so poor, when I go to my PCP unless I make a specific ask, they won't really do anything. So sometimes I'm looking for information on what kind of doctor to see for which kind of problem.

There are positives and negatives to information being so readily available. But just reading about this or that disorder is not enough to diagnose. Providers are also trained in pathology and in taking a history and piecing together relevant facts to get to a diagnosis. Someone complaining of something online, I could find 10 disorders in the DSM that it could legitimately be. We cannot tell because the OP is sharing only from their perspective, and we don't know if their perception is altered for one reason or another, which an in-person provider would be able to pick up on and figure out the accurate diagnosis.

Someone might be complaining of something online and, for example, maybe they are drunk. But we don't see that, and people are telling them they have this or that when they are actually having a substance abuse issue.

So, that's all to say, I agree and I do try to refrain from this behavior myself. (Try being the operative word there.)

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
amandalouise, bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
amandalouise, bpcyclist, Discombobulated, Open Eyes, Quietmind 2, shovelhead, WovenGalaxy