Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 01, 2020 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca1938 View Post
Thanks for this. Sadly, for me I don’t think we will ever be united as to how to deal with her so sadly that’s not going to happen in our case. For example, she leaves a mess everywhere. As we speak she has dishes left on my dining room table including a bowl with food still in it. I also just cleaned 2 trays that she had used. Yet she would argue to the moon and back that she does dishes including mine. Anyway, the point is I’m desperate to tell her to get the dining room table cleared except I have stopped making requests of her as it leads to a huge fight so I’ll ask my husband to ask her to do it, but if I don’t ask him he just walks past the dishes and it doesn’t bother him. Also, my opinion is to show a united front, he should have said to her that he heard she called me a cheating w—— and told her that level of disrespect will not be tolerated. I think because he didn’t address that with her she thinks he thinks it was acceptable. It’s a huge mess. I think I’ve reached the conclusion I just need her out because we barely speak. It’s horrible. And my heart hurts but I dint think it’s fixable. She’s had a normal life. She’s just always resented any kind of authority and refused to accept it. I remember saying to her but we are your parents. Other parents also tell their children to do their homework or to clean up etc. but she would lose her mind if asked to do those things. We went through 2 years of therapy once a week and that didn’t help either! I feel like I tried! Ugh. Sorry. I’ll stop typing now but thank you for replying to me.
No need to say sorry because no one has to read. BTW--I have a habit of saying sorry way too much.

I do not have a perfect family (perhaps that is a myth?) but I truly believe that things are only improving for our children because my relationship with my husband which had got off track at some point in the marriage is so much better now. And your daughter might also need assistance from a psychiatrist or therapist but she can only be forced if she is a danger or left to deal with it on her own when she doesn't listen. IMO, it is important to not put our children before our spouses. I also have had to learn to not worry about upsetting other people. I had to learn to stand up for myself when my husband got upset at me--only then did I become strong enough for us to work many things out. I also had to learn to appreciate all his sacrifices for us more! It is not hopeless! Hang in there!
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
rebecca1938

Thanks for this!
rebecca1938