View Single Post
splitimage
Community Support Team

Member Since Mar 2006
75 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 12, 2020 at 07:57 AM

In my experience, they can go away for long periods but flare up once in a while.

I've been sober a while now, and I think it was around the 5 or 6 month mark that I realized I wasn't feeling cravings anymore.

But I still get them occasionally, but they're much shorter, fleeting, and easier to dismiss.

In rehab, they kept telling is this phrase, "I want to use means I want to change the way I feel" which meant that when I had a craving I had to dig in and figure out what was really behind the craving.

I don't know if you've ever heard of the acronym HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, but a lot of times cravings can be tied back to one of these feelings, so when a craving hits it's worth asking, when's the last time I ate etc.

Finally, if alcohol is your problem supplement, there are anti-craving medications that can be prescribed. There's Naltrexone, Campral, or off label use Gabapentin, which I understand can also be useful in marijuana withdrawal. They might be worth discussing with your Dr.

splitimage

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favourite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

splitimage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, xIxAmxSadx