View Single Post
paladin313
paladin313 has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Sep 07, 2020 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
Even though I was non verbal until I was 4, a classic ASD sign and I had behavior issues and sensory issues and everything It wasn’t suggested until I was 15 and I didn’t get an official diagnosis until my early 20’s. Now I’m 27 it’s on paper, and all my therapist talks about is “well you feel like this because of the autism, and it’s a sensory issues, etc” All my medical providers specialize in autism and no one will work with me who doesn’t specialize in it. I feel like my case is more then mild but not quite moderate. It bugs me I was diagnosed so late when it was obvious I had it my whole life.
I feel your frustration. Try being 50 and just finding out. I haven't had it put on paper officially, but all the signs are there, and every assesment I've found has me so clearly on the High Functioning area of the spectrum that to say this is not the case would be odd. All I'd need it for is something official that shows it. In any case, what was worse for me was they, like your era, knew nothing of the thing. They, in your time, knew a bit, but not what they know now. What I don't care for is them telling you that that's just your autism as if that was an excuse of some sort; that you can get away with certain things because of it. Well, depending on how severe it is for you, from my experience, though I can't change the wiring in the ol' noodle, I've learned to work around it in some areas and I am starting to learn how to turn things to my advantage. Yes, there are things that will never go away and will always be the default setting in how I function in this world, but that does not mean I can't work around it. I think we all can.
paladin313 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote