Thread: MRI anxiety
View Single Post
Anonymous43372
Anonymous43372 has no updates. Edit

Default Sep 09, 2020 at 08:47 PM

I have to get an MRI every 6 months of my abdomen. I stopped following up 2 years ago and my doctor is upset. She told me that I have to get an MRI done asap.

So, I googled MRI machines online and found "open MRIs." My healthcare plan allows me to get an open MRI (thank god) but my clinic and hospital don't have those, so I have to go out of network but I have a referral so I'm covered thankfully.

I'm relieved there are "open" MRI machines. The MRI isn't a tube but a donut with open sides. You're still smushed up against the MRI scanner but at least you aren't encapsulated like a life savers in a closed MRI tube.

I know I will be anxious b/c my scans will be anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes for a 90 minute period with no stopping. And, I can't eat 4 hours before my open MRI so I'm getting mine done in the evening.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with MRI anxiety? It has to do with feeling claustrophobic. I can't be sedated b/c I have no one to drive me or pick me up. So, I'm doing mine non-sedated and non-contrast.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
TunedOut