jesyka
Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2020
270 hugs
given
Default Sep 11, 2020 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelikemusic View Post
You can take your time getting to know people at a pace that is comfortable for you. And when you do this just make sure you set boundaries and be consistent with those boundaries. Also, practice being a good listener. You could be a good listener already, but people who like to control and manipulate others have a tendency to contradict themselves a lot.

Watch their actions. Do what they say and what they do match up? How do they treat their friends? Their family? Does this person sound self-entitled? For example, do they have a tendency to act like someone owes them something? Do you find yourself drained whenever you spend time with this person? Do they have a habit of trying to pressure you even though you're adamant about your stance on a subject? Do they have a habit of throwing tantrums?

There's lots of articles out there on the red flags of controlling and abusive behavior. Like this one: Controlling Behavior: Signs, Causes, and What To Do About It | Supportiv

Don't be quick to dismiss articles that are aimed toward romantic relationships. Those same red flags can pop up in friendships too. I think you're doing a great job at recognizing this behavior to be honest. You won't always catch these types of people right away. When you do, don't be afraid to put up boundaries or even cut them off or establish distance. Do what's right for your mental health.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your advice. I'll definitely be more cautious with people from now on. I tried to tell them to stop and I said no to certain things, but that didn't work with them. With my MIL, I would pull away from her and try to avoid hugging her since I dislike being touched, but she'd try to touch me all the time which was annoying.

I'm definitely not afraid to end a friendship anymore. I'd rather be alone than with people who mistreat me. Thanks for sharing that link. I'll read it now.
jesyka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
alittlelikemusic, Bill3, bpcyclist, Discombobulated