Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 28, 2020 at 02:00 PM

Continuing ...
These accusations come from inside. Drilled in and hooking my competitive side. So, here's a test. I want to copy out several ¶s from Kenko's Essays in Idleness. I confused the title to mean Essays ON Idleness. Lazy reading.

What would be the easiest way to do this?
  1. Find it already on line. Translation in the current copyright period. No luck.
  2. Type it out directly, edit, proof. Not sure how long that would take, maybe 20 minutes.
  3. Scan it with text converting (optical character recognition, OCR) software. The scanner is put away and takes a total of 10 minutes to set-up and put back. Still need to proof it.
  4. Voice to text using Otter. This would need proofing and edits.
  5. Buy a used copy and mail the whole book. Takes days and money.
  6. Don't bother. Do something else.
The last couple are a joke. The voice transcription gets old fast due to the approximate guesses the programs makes which need to be carefully double checked.
OCR gets close to the hassles of working with the transcription.
Which leaves typing it out directly.
What would be the easiest way to do that? I think reading it through for a couple of days before getting to the work itself. Just looking at it w/o reading a couple of time. Imagining my happiness when I am finished.
Oh, I could push it through FIVRR or Upwork, or Mechanical Turk and offer $$ to someone to transcribe it if they have a copy around.
R

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote