Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
74.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 01, 2020 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
LT—are private schools open in your area? Around here, most private schools are in-person, while the public schools vary but are mostly remote. The private tuition could be tough to swing, but if in-person would help her (and you) it might be worth a shot.

Thanks. I think some are? The issue is, I think she'd lose her IEP going to a private school. I'm not sure how it would work if she, say, went private for a year then went back to public. Not sure if she'd have to go through all the testing again. And we really like her special educator, who we've been working with for a couple years. The issues is the classes that she's mainstreamed in (which is most of them, but she's pulled out for small groups for parts of some of them, like half of math class is with full group, half with just a few kids, for example).

There was talk of bringing small groups for in-person learning later this fall, and we got a survey about it a week or two ago because my daughter could qualify. But I have no idea what the timeline is on their making a decision about that. From what I understand, they asked the parents through the survey, which was due back maybe yesterday? Then, they have to see how many special ed teachers are willing to go back. I know in a neighboring county, they were trying to start hybrid (two days a week in person) school for all students soon, but a bunch of teachers either resigned or else refused to do it, so that may not be happening. And I worry the same might happen in our county, if most teachers refuse, even just for the small groups. There was a survey option of having one's child go to another school for small groups (if not enough teachers and/or students at home school), which I said we'd be open to. So, we'll see...

And I know some parents in similar situations in my county are opting to homeschool, but I think she'd also lose her IEP, and she also doesn't really want to do any work with me or H, so not sure how exactly that would work...

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket