View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 17, 2020 at 10:31 AM

It's unfortunate @sarahsweets but most of the time the root of racism is about "fear". That's what prejudice is about too mostly "fear of". When it comes to "fear of's" it's important to learn how to listen as often a person will show you by what they say to you what their true fear is about. It sounds like these relatives harbor some deep fears they don't know what to do with.

It's what my mother taught me when I was little. My mother would be ironing and she would watch old movies. I would sit and watch them with her. One day I was watching a movie with Shirley Temple where she was dancing with a man that happened to be black. That's when my mother began to tell me how mean Black people were treated, how they were not allowed to mingle with White people or use the same bathrooms or water fountains and many other things. When my mother told me this it was clear to me she was unhappy about that and thought it was mean. And years later she told me how she was told she could not play with other children on the beach because she was not rich enough to do so. So my mother knew what it felt like to face discrimination, it was a genuine feeling that she empathized with the most. The things my mother told me to "notice" that were wrong left a lasting impression.

Just because someone is related to you doesn't mean you have to agree to engage them when they say things that you find pushing their fears or ways of handling these fears on you. It can be unfortunate, but often politic's can divide family and friends and people in general. And this isn't anything "new" either, it's pretty much always been there.

One thing I do know is bad people come in all colors, as good caring people also come in all colors too. The pigment of someone's skin doesn't say anything other than mostly their origin and how their body adapted to the amount of sun they happened to be exposed to. It's just very stupid once one considers the biological science of it.

Last edited by bluekoi; Oct 18, 2020 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Remove political content