Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 21, 2020 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Open Eyes, I disagree that the root of racism is fear. At least it isn't always. My best friend's family are hard core racists. They are not afraid of minorities. They just plain hate anyone who does not look and think like them.

Last year one of them looked at me oddly and asked if I was a "tree hugger." Looked 'em in the eye and said "Yep, all my life." I suspect it changed their opinion of me.

My daddy's family are all redneck bigots. Again, they don't fear minorities they just flat out hate anyone "different." They consider anyone who is not white, male and of European descent as inferior. To their "credit" (heavy sarcasm) they are equal opportunity bigots. Whether it's skin color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, political beliefs, if you ain't just like them you are less than and hated.

Perhaps the fear for them is accepting, some can NEVER accept and simply choose to hate. What gets me is hating due to skin color. My husband has olive skin color as he takes after his mother who comes from Portugal and portugese heritage. My daughter inherited what I consider a beautiful skin color, always somewhat tan? What I did not know until she was older is how she faced discrimination where some of her piers insisted she must be mexican or hispanic and was not "white" enough. Ugh, she never told me that when it happened and kept it to herself. My daughter was stunningly beautiful in her high school years, she did not think so according to her piers. (Just want to mention I live in a VERY blue state)

So it's unfortunate in that some individuals do "hate due to skin color", yes you are right.