View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 21, 2020 at 02:03 PM

I see a TON of women - the majority of abused women on abuse Facebook groups where I am a member - remaining in an abusive marriage or relationship trying to make it work for YEARS on end. 10-15-20 years!

I finally asked the question in one of these abuse support groups:

WHY are we as women accepting FAR LESS than what we actually deserve when it comes to true love, respect, and reciprocal caring within relationships?

I am astounded that so many women remain in abusive situations because ultimately, they are afraid to be alone. And that is one of the biggest reasons why these women stay.

OR their self esteem is SO battered that they feel bread crumbs of periodic expressed love are far better than being alone.

And yes, of course there's also situations where children and lack of financial independence keep many women in abusive relationships far longer than they may desire.

And then there's the women who think they can change their abuser, and make it their life's mission.

It makes me SO incredibly and deeply sad about the state of women's mentality in today's society.

Sure, am I afraid to be alone? YES. HELL YES. I AM afraid! I am 50 years old and I am scared s-h-i-t-less to be alone and to face the depths of loneliness!

Yet, at the same time, I feel that being alone is the most empowering experience one can ever have! It's an opportunity to learn and to gain much needed SELF LOVE, to embrace one's own company and to learn how to be happy and comfortable with one's own company, to expand one's life to make room for other endeavors, such as a new hobby, gaining a new skill, new friendships or travel!

To me, there is a certain DIGNITY involved in being alone. And there is NO dignity involved in being in an abusive and volatile relationship. It erodes a woman's sense of self worth AND self esteem.

And the longer a woman stays? The worse it gets! There is little hope to changing an abuser. LITTLE. Maybe a smidgen of hope for the rare few who can admit to their problem FULLY and seek help for it. The majority will never change.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote