View Single Post
NaoSky

Member Since Nov 2020
90 hugs
given
Default Nov 21, 2020 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post
I was diagnosed some decades ago and have been on meds since I was in my 20's (I'm now 57). I still have times of great doubt, panic, almost, thinking that I don't have a disorder at all and have been taking meds for absolutely no reason.

But then I stop and remember the times when I wasn't properly medicated and the reality, the truth, hits me all over again: This is real.

I have no spectacular answers. I have learned (finally) to take life day by day. Some days I'm stronger, some days I'm not at all. I keep a routine that suits my mental and physical health.

Something that has been quite helpful for me is watching films or documentaries about bipolar disorder. From those I obtain information and understand that I am not alone in this, not by a long shot.

This forum is a tremendous support. Therapy is essential, as is being consistent with meds. For me, support groups have always been helpful (before covid).

I think that anyone diagnosed with BD is, to one degree or another, in a slight state of shock. It's a very strange feeling, I think, to be diagnosed with a disorder that is so much a part of the essence of your Self.
Right... that’s probably the hard part because it is a part of who we are... it’s part of our personality... if only we could live in the hypomania long term... it’s like a punishment for being happy... I was doing so well and accomplishing so much. I thought I was just happy... I had also been on a diet, was doing keto so I thought keto was giving me energy... it was a slap in the face when I went down. I still think it’s not fair. My mom had 6 kids and I hope my other siblings don’t get this. I also pray my 2 kids don’t get it. I don’t understand how people can accept this and be ok with it. I have a cousin who has learned to, but it’s taken him years.

I might try watching some films and documentaries. I know I saw modern love series and one of them was a woman who had bipolar... it was extreme. I watched it over the summer and thought there was no way I had bipolar.

Thank you for your response... I am taking this one day at a time.
NaoSky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*

Thanks for this!
*Beth*