View Single Post
NaoSky

Member Since Nov 2020
90 hugs
given
Default Nov 24, 2020 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daladico View Post
Oh man, it can be freaking tough keeping a job through all the lows [and bad highs]. I’m super lucky that I have an amazing boss who knows what I go through and is super supportive. Looking back though, I still have no idea how I managed to keep my job through the past three years. There were many days I thought I would have to resign due to my brain. Shear grit and determination haha.

Just in the past month, I finally gave in and applied for intermittent FMLA and it was approved. Now I wish I had applied sooner. I hope to not use it, but it will make me feel so much less guilty when I have to call off on the worst of the days. Maybe something you could look into?

And yes, “normal” is an interesting concept haha. My entire sense of normal has changed. My new normal however, is much more raw and deep and more covered in gratitude than it ever was before. I’ve grown to be crazy grateful for the days that resemble “normal.”

Meds: man, for me it’s been a journey. Yes- most days over the past 3 years I have not felt stable, despite taking all my meds. Tweaking dose here, changing med there with pdoc every 1-3 months. Thankfully I have an amazing psychiatrist. My biggest recommendation: speak up for your needs. If you aren’t feeling right, tell them. If a med isn’t working right, tell them. You are your biggest advocate.

I used to feel like you and only want one med (if any). I now know that isn’t feasible for me personally. Everyone is different though. (I do know people who are pretty stable on just one med.) I’m sensitive to meds and still have a big fear of med changes. But I’m so grateful I gave in and worked with my pdoc to do a total med change this last time, cuz now it is the best I’ve felt in years. [And my job is SO much easier as a result!!] There are sooooo many different med options and combinations and each works slightly differently for each individual... hoping you find the meds that work the best for you my friend <3

Sending you lots of love and good thoughts
💫💕✨
That’s what I have in me right now is determination! I don’t want this illness to take me down. I don’t want to lose my job. I’m on my 10th year, the longest job I’ve ever had and it was always the most rewarding. I planned on retiring as a teacher!! I just don’t know if anyone with bipolar that has lasted. Maybe I will be that rare teacher that does. I’m also hoping I can go years without an episode like my mom. She’s gone more than 7 years between them and she doesn’t take any medication!!

It’s probably one of the reasons I don’t want to be super medicated. I know my mom has managed so I want to also. Are meds supposed to bring back your interests and desires or does that just eventually come back? I don’t feel as down as when it first hit but again I don’t know if that’s just because I’ve learned to get used to the depression or if it’s the medicine. I’ve already tried a few kinds of extra meds and nothing helped. I just don’t want to be a guinea pig if I’m still going to feel the same and I need it to run its course.
NaoSky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*